Monday, September 8, 2008

"Generation IM: Getting Through to Today's Teched-out Children"

I read the article "Generation IM: Getting Through to Today's Teched-out Children" by Curwood, 2008, and was surprised to see how much of myself I recognized in it. At the very beginning of the article it talks about children being able to media multi-task, something I do every day. It's something I have almost always done - listened to music while doing homework and IM-ing a friend all at the same time. For me it is weird to think of NOT having a lifestyle like this.

That then made me think about some of the kids I babysit for. They are exposed to so much more technology than I ever was. I remember playing video games after school and watching TV, but the level at which kids today are able to do such things is ten times greater than when I was that age. With those thoughts in mind, I was able to really understand and agree with the majority of what the article said.

Today's generation does need to be taught in a new way - incorporating the technology that they are already so familiar with, but also giving those students who might not have the access to technology at home, a chance to learn and keep up with their peers.

However, while I agree that technology does need to be incorporated in the classroom, and their exposure to technology has definitely changed the way their minds process information, I don't think that we can completely discount traditional education techniques. Children still need to be able to function in hands-on activities, with person to person contact. I think it is important that we not take either side to the extreme, but that the key is an integration of the two worlds.

1 comment:

Prof. Sorenson said...

Great observation regarding students who don't have access to technology at home. How will you encourage them, how will you make the playing field level especially if they have limited technology at home?