Tuesday, December 16, 2008

End of Semester Reflection

I have learned so incredibly much this semester. Sometimes I still feel a bit overwhelmed when I think about all of the technology that is out there, but I'm not afraid of it like I used to be. I definitely had the tendency prior to this class to simply shut out technology, rather than try to figure things out. After being thrown into something like this though, I see the value that technology can have in a classroom and in an overall learning experience.

After taking this class, I can't imagine not using technology in a classroom. I think so many subjects can take on a whole new life just by introducing a bit of technology into it. Especially with this generation. There are so many great resources out there for students and teachers, you just need to know where to look. I feel that this semester really helped with that. Now I have some definite resources and starting points for my technology adventure. I am more at ease with using large pieces of technology such as the smartboard or even just the projector and computer. It was also really nice to see that technology doesn't always work, and though it's frustrating, it's not the end of the world.

Never before have I ever thought that technology was so valuable in a classroom. I've always had it stigmatized in my head as "something for adults". But with today's world, it's becoming more and more something for kids - and we as teachers need to realize that and take advantage of that. Our job as teachers is to prepare kids to the best of our abilities for the world ahead of them, and today, that includes technology. After a semester of being immersed in technology, I now believe that if we don't at least introduce kids to the use of technology and do our best to expose them to as much as we can, we are being neglectful in our duties as teachers.

No comments: