Monday, November 3, 2008

Word, Excel and Powerpoint

My experience with these three programs has been pretty limited. I must admit that I pretty much stick to the basics when it comes to them. I did have a little bit of experience in using new features when I worked in the Human Resources office of a local hospital, but I don't feel like I could explain them very well.
  • I remember using a mail-merge in Word, when we had to make address labels. This was very handy because we could tell the document in Word where to copy from in Excel and then all of the addresses would appear in a label format.
  • I also remember using the data sort feature in Excel which automatically alphabetized spreadsheets in Excel. By highlighting the columns you want to sort and then choosing "data sort" you can then choose whether you want ascending or descending order. Much easier than trying to do it all yourself
  • Also in Excel, at one time I could do formulas. If you enter in a certain formula it would carry through the entire column and calculate totals for you - again, I really don't remember how to do this, just remember doing it at one point.

Though I don't remember the specifics of these features, I remember that they were really easy to use and that I feel much more comfortable on these programs because of that. I am certain that if I spent a little bit of time on these programs I could further my expertise and find new things fairly easily.

No comments: